History & Photos
On May 7, 1888, the City of Monett was incorporated as a 4th class city. The Police Department was established at that time to enforce the ordinances of the City. By June of that year, a "calaboose" was built at 2nd and Front Streets as an office for Monett’s first town Marshall Anthony Segerer. Within two years, Monett leaders decided to purchase their own ball and chains for prisoners who were convicted and failed to pay their fines. The City directed the Street Commissioner to provide a pile of rocks at needed places around the city for the prisoners to work out their fines. Things have progressed since the days of hitching racks and an ordinance prohibiting anyone from playing a piano or other musical instrument between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. within the city limits.
Currently, the Monett Police Department patrols 8.4 square miles of the city. We proclaim 9,576 residents; however, the city population grows to around 15,000 during the day when the workers show up for their jobs. The Monett Police Department has an authorized police force of 29 sworn officers and employs 7 civilians. The Police department has a Patrol Division, Detective Bureau, School Resource Unit, Special Response Team, Animal Control, Evidence section, and Administration. The Police Department and Jail is housed in the Monett Justice Center located at 1901 E. Cleveland Avenue which was built in 2008. when the Department moved from its old location downtown on 5th Street.